Connect with:
Saturday / May 23.
HomeStandard Blog Whole Post (Page 16)

Zambia’s electricity exports have risen by approximately 16% year-on-year, according to official data released for February 2026. This increase comes despite the country’s ongoing reliance on electricity imports to meet domestic demand.

Official reports have also revealed that Zambia is currently importing around 511 MW of electricity to supplement domestic generation.

According to a statement delivered last year in February 2025, Energy Minister Chikote, had revealed that ZESCO had significantly reduced its power exports, scaling them back from previous levels of around 520MW to 150MW as of February, 2025

However, in a recent data made available to the Zambian Business Times – ZBT, Energy Minister Makozo Chikote has confirmed that current electricity exports have surged to 175 megawatts (MW), up from 150 MW reported in February 2025.

He noted that the country’s installed generation capacity stands at 3,880 MW, with ZESCO Limited contributing 3,168 MW and independent power producers supplying 712 MW.

He, however, said that due to hydrological and operational constraints, only 1,635 MW is presently available from domestic generation.

Chikote explained that to bridge the supply gap, Zambia has turned to imports, bringing the total available supply to 1,971 MW, against a national demand of approximately 2,400 MW.

He added that “due to prevailing hydrological and operational constraints, available domestic generation presently stands at 1,635 mw. This deficit is being supplemented by 511 mw of electricity imports, bringing total available supply to 1,971 mw, against a current national demand of approximately 2,400 mw.”

Zambia’s electricity exports have risen by approximately

By Tyndale Muchiya

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) has imposed a significant fine on Yango Zam Limited, the operator of the ride-hailing service Yango, for engaging in unfair trading conditions and anti-competitive practices in Zambia.

Speaking during the CCPC’s 2025 annual performance briefing, attended by the Zambian Business Times – ZBT, CCPC Executive Director Eunice Phiri Hamavhwa announced the decision, stating that the commission remains committed to fostering a fair and competitive market environment in Zambia.

She noted that in 2025, the CCPC investigated 38 cases of restrictive business practices (RBPs), a 7% decrease from 2024. This drop was attributed to increased compliance, advocacy, and education efforts by the commission.

The standout case involved Yango Zam Limited whose investigations began after complaints surfaced that Yango was engaging in below-cost pricing to gain market share in the ride-hailing sector. “This strategy allegedly forced competitors out of the market by making it unsustainable for them to match Yango’s prices. There were also allegations regarding tax compliance, with claims that Yango’s operations were not fully tax-compliant, allowing it to offer lower prices than competitors.”

She said further concerns were raised over the treatment of drivers on the platform, including claims that drivers could not cancel trips before pickup, were denied key trip details before accepting rides, and that driver incentives were revoked without clear explanation. “Regulatory issues also surfaced, with allegations that Yango drivers lacked proper taxi service licenses, disadvantaging traditional operators. There were also complaints that passenger-initiated fare reductions did not adequately cover vehicle operating costs.”

“Following thorough investigations, the CCPC Board of Commissioners found Yango Zam Limited in contravention of Sections 8, 10, and 16(2)(a) of the Competition and Consumer Protection Act. The Board directed that Yango Zam Limited: (Be fined according to the law, Establish a physical engagement platform for drivers to raise grievances and suggestions and Update its digital platform to display trip destination and pricing information before drivers accept rides.”

Meanwhile, responding to a Zambian Business Times – ZBT, question regarding the total fine imposed on Yango Zambia, CCPC Director of Restrictive Business Practices Patrick Chengo explained during the briefing that the fine totals 12% of Yango Zambia’s annual turnover for the year under investigation, based on the latest audited financials.

He clarified that the cumulative fine for the three cited violations amounts to 12% of the annual turnover of the enterprise for the year under investigation. “This percentage is applied only to the financial year corresponding to the period under scrutiny, based on the latest audited financial statements available during the investigation.” He added.

Chengo emphasized that the Commission does not retroactively apply the fine to years prior to the investigation. Instead, the focus remains on the year in which the conduct occurred and was investigated. He noted that competition investigations, particularly those involving restrictive business practices or abuse of market power, are inherently complex and may span 18 to 24 months due to the breadth of information required and the evolving nature of business conduct. Despite the investigation potentially spanning 3 years, Chengo noted that the fine is calculated from a single audited year within the investigation period.

He further clarified that even if a company amends its practices or addresses issues during an ongoing investigation, the fine remains applicable for violations committed during the relevant period.
Chengo further urged businesses to proactively seek guidance from the Commission if they are uncertain about the boundaries of compliance with the Competition and Consumer Protection Act.

The Commission maintains an open-door policy and May, in certain circumstances, grant exemptions or approve specific contractual clauses if they enhance market efficiency or benefit consumers.
Chengo reiterated that the CCPC aims to promote fair competition, not to protect individual business entities, and encouraged all businesses to familiarize themselves with the legal requirements governing their sectors.

He reminded stakeholders that ignorance of the law is not a valid defence and encouraged them to reach out for guidance to ensure compliance and avoid inadvertent violations.

By Tyndale Muchiya The Competition and Consumer Protection

By Tyndale Muchiya

Shuka Minerals Plc, a London-headquartered mining firm, has confirmed the completion of its acquisition of 100% of Leopard Exploration and Mining Limited (“LEM”), securing full ownership and operational control of the renowned $2 billion Kabwe Zinc Mine in central Zambia at only US$4.5 million.

Kabwe is believed to be one of the world’s richest and most notable zinc mines, with grades of up to 43% zinc and historical production averaging around 25%.…Read the details in this week’s zbt edition. Get your copy via link https://zambianbusinesstimes.com/subscribe_to_zambian…/ to read these and many more insightful stories

By Tyndale Muchiya Shuka Minerals Plc, a London-headquartered

By Tyndale Muchiya

Defence Minister Ambrose Lufuma has addressed public concerns following recent remarks by Zambia Army Commander, Lt. Gen Geoffrey Zyeele, on the military’s intervention against prohibited mining in Mufumbwe district of North Western province.

The Commander’s reference to “exterminating” illegal mining had sparked anxiety among stakeholders, prompting calls for clarification on the Army’s actual stance and operational strategy.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with the Zambian Business Times – ZBT, Minister Lufuma clarified that the word “exterminate” was inappropriate in this context and does not reflect the government’s intentions.

“We are not going there to exterminate anyone. Our objective is to remove illegal miners from the areas they are occupying, not to harm them. Exterminate means killing, and that is not the objective of this mission.” Remarked Lufuma.

He emphasized that illegal mining is a deeply entrenched and complex challenge, likening it to a Mafioso-type organization that cannot be dismantled overnight. “It’s not something you just remove at the click of a finger. The areas are expansive, some miners are in locations that are difficult to detect, and the operation requires careful planning and execution to avoid negative consequences and ensure no bloodshed.” Lufuma said when asked about why past efforts by authorities had not yielded the much-needed results.

Lufuma assured the public that the Army is focusing on a strategy that prioritizes safety and minimizes confrontation. “We do not want a situation where force leads to loss of life. Our approach is to shepherd illegal miners out of these areas, not to use excessive force.”

He explained that once illegal miners are removed, those with legal mining licenses, such as cooperative societies, will be allowed to operate in their designated areas, with ongoing security to prevent further illegal activity.

Asked about the number of officers deployed, Lufuma declined to disclose specifics, citing operational security, but assured that the Army always conducts reconnaissance to assess the strength and resources required before any deployment.

Lufuma, further, urged the miners to cooperate with authorities for the benefit of both the community and the country. He also clarified that quantifying the number of illegal miners is not within the Ministry of Defence’s mandate, but that thorough reconnaissance is conducted prior to any operation.

Lufuma reiterated that the goal is to restore order, protect lives, and create a safe environment for legal mining, not to use excessive force.

The operation, he said, will take time but is being conducted with utmost care to avoid unnecessary conflict.

“Our intention is to bring order, ensure legal mining, and protect the safety and environment for all involved,” he concluded.

By Tyndale Muchiya Defence Minister Ambrose Lufuma has

By Carol Sichone

‎‎State-owned telecommunications infrastructure firm INFRATEL Corporation Limited was penalised K1.08 million for failing to maintain adequate power uptime at several telecommunications tower sites across the country, the Auditor Generals report reveals.

‎According to the report, penalties amounting to K1,081,900 were charged to INFRATEL after weaknesses were identified in the management of its tower infrastructure, particularly the failure to ensure continuous power supply at shared tower sites…..Read the details on this week’s ZBT publication.Get your copy via link https://zambianbusinesstimes.com/subscribe_to_zambian…/

By Carol Sichone ‎‎State-owned telecommunications infrastructure firm INFRATEL

By Tyndale Muchiya

FQM’s Kansanshi Mine has delivered a robust performance in 2025, producing over 181,000 metric tons of copper, an increase of 10,000 Tons compared to the previous Year.

According to the preliminary production for the three months (“Q4”) and year ended December 31, 2025, seen by the Zambian Business Times – ZBT, the 2025 output marks Kansanshi’s highest annual copper production since 2021 and falls within the revised guidance range of 175,000 to 185,000 metric tons….Read the details on this week’s ZBT publication.Get your copy via link https://zambianbusinesstimes.com/subscribe_to_zambian…/

By Tyndale Muchiya FQM's Kansanshi Mine has delivered

By Samuel Mutale

‎Kalumbila District Council Secretary Bridget Mungandi has hailed yhe imminent delimitation of the district, revealing that the K30 million Constituency Development Fund (CDF) has not been adequate to finance all the projects.

‎The government, through the newly introduced law, is bound to delimit all 116 districts in the country, although the Electoral Commission of Zambia is yet to issue a list. According to the Electoral Commission of Zambia the delimitation report recommended 250 constituencies from 156, across selected districts among the 116.…Read the details on this week’s ZBT publication.Get your copy via link https://zambianbusinesstimes.com/subscribe_to_zambian…/

By Samuel Mutale ‎Kalumbila District Council Secretary Bridget

By Justine Phiri

The President of the Association of Bureau De Change, Paul Kalumba, has noted that the Bank of Zambia directive requiring all domestic transactions to be conducted in Zambian Kwacha and Ngwee has negatively affected bureau de change businesses.

The directive, which was issued on 26 December 2025, mandates that all local transactions be settled in the local currency.

Speaking in an interview with Zambian Business Timess-ZBT, Kalumba said the policy has significantly reduced demand for r foreign currency……Read the details on this week’s ZBT publication.Get your copy via link https://zambianbusinesstimes.com/subscribe_to_zambian…/

By Justine Phiri The President of the Association

By Carol Sichone

The Auditor General has flagged weak contract management at the Zambia Revenue Authority (ZRA) after it emerged that K463,534 paid as an advance on a K1,854,137 construction contract could not be accounted for due to failure to prepare final accounts.

According to the Auditor General’s Report on Parastatal Bodies for the year ended December 31, 2024, ZRA terminated a contract with Autobase Enterprises limited on December 12, 2023 for the construction…Read the details on this week’s ZBT publication.Get your copy via link https://zambianbusinesstimes.com/subscribe_to_zambian…/

By Carol Sichone The Auditor General has flagged

By Tyndale Muchiya

Authorities in Kapiri Mposhi District of Central Province have confirmed a major heist involving copper cathodes valued at K8.6 million (K8,643,213 – $444,000).

The cargo, transported by a Mauritius-based Company, was intercepted while in transit from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to the Port of Dar-es-Salaam

Kapiri Mposhi Police Station has confirmed to the Zambian Business Times-ZBT, that it received the above case which occurred on 13.01.2026 between 04:00 hrs and 07:30 hrs after Mpula area along Kapiri-Mkushi road in which a 59 year old Security Officer reported on behalf a Company based in Mauritius that unknown people stole copper cathodes valued at K8,643,213=92 which was loaded on a truck – in transit to Dar-es-alaam, Tanzania.

Brief facts of the matter are that on 11.01.2026 at 15:00 hrs the said truck crossed the border into Zambia at Kasumbalesa from DRC and it was being driven by a Tanzanian driver.

“On 12.01.2026 in the morning, the said driver started off his trip from Kasumbalesa border and arrived in Kapiri-Mposhi on the same day 12/01/26. On 13.01.2026 around 07:00 hrs, Surprisingly, the driver started off at 04:00 hrs and left the escort man who had gone to charge his phone. By the time he was coming back at 06:04 hrs, he found that the truck had already gone.”

“Later, he decided to follow behind and found the truck abandoned in Mpula area which is about 35 kilometers from Kapiri-Mposhi town.

Police units processed the scene and confirmed that the entire consignment of copper cathodes had been offloaded.

No recoveries or arrests have been recorded so far. The driver who remains the primary person of interest is however currently on the run.

More to follow….

By Tyndale Muchiya Authorities in Kapiri Mposhi District